birding-aus

Sundown National Park

To: <>
Subject: Sundown National Park
From: "Steve Murray" <>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 07:10:24 +1000
Hello Birders. I have to thank Graham Etherington for giving me the idea for
a quick overnight trip to Sundown N.P. I knew from his report of 24Nov that
it would mean lifers aplenty for me but it exceeded expectations. I camped
overnight on 23rd Jan and on the morning of the 24th  between 0500 and 0930
I recorded 51 species including 9 lifers. And that was after dipping on many
of the species Graham mentioned. (How I missed White-browed WS is beyond
me!). The highlights for me were a very good view of perching male Turquoise
Parrot and an extended observation (Abt 15 mins from the car hide) of a very
unconcerned Painted Button-Quail. Some birds I saw that were not mentioned
in Graham's report: Grey-crowned Babbler (3), White-bellied Cuckoo-Shrike
(2), Little Friarbird (1), Scarlet Honeyeater (3), Australian King Parrot
(2) and a fleeting view of a Hooded Robin on the drive out.  The ranger
mentioned there were Black-chinned Honeyeaters about as well.

Well worth a visit .Steve Murray