birding-aus

Diversion from... Maremma dog Protects penguins

Subject: Diversion from... Maremma dog Protects penguins
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 16:55:31 +1100
Birders,

This reminds me of a reversal that I'm sure is common but not widely
known among us City folk.

While staying on a farm in Mudgee, I noticed that te farmer was
letting his chooks roam quite freely over the property, with no sign
of any fences or chook sheds. I asked him about this and it turns out
that the geese (greylag I think) he had roaming the property were that
territorial that they kept the foxes away! They also eat the grass and
fertilise the lawn. Much better than a shed.

EB