birding-aus

India Birding

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: India Birding
From: "David Siems" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:01:39 +1100
Hi Netters,
               Jim Valentine and I organised a 20 day birding tour with
Indian Wildlife from 26/11 to 15/12. The tour started in Ahmadabad and
covered the Gujarat area of Dasada, Jamnagar, Gir National Park and
Velvadar and then by return sleeper train to Ghuj near the Pakistan
border, then Bharatpur and Bund Baretha.
                The main aim of the tour was to see two family ticks
which were seen, Crab Plover (600) and Grey Hypocolius (8). The total
bird list was 265 with added rarities being MacQueen's Bustard, Greater
Hoopoe Lark with Imm, White-naped Tit, Sociable and White-tailed
Lapwing.
                In the Gir National Park we saw Asiatic Lions and
Leopard plus other mammals.
                Our brilliant drivers Rakesh and Krisan managed on
incredibly bad roads to avoid coaches, buses, trucks, cars, motorbikes,
bicycles, camels pulling wagons, cows pulling wagons, cows in general,
water buffalo, goats, sheep, dogs, motorised trishaws, pedal pushing
trishaws and people walking in all directions. If you are thinking of
driving in India forget it.
                Our bird guide Nikhil Devasar ironed out any problems
and the tour went really smooth. His digital photography work with his
600mm Nikon was something to see as rare birds were put in the frame.
                If you wish to check out the tours
www.indianwildlife.com <http://www.indianwildlife.com/>  or contact
Mohit Aggarwal
                In Bharatpur the hotel will contact the "Captain" as a
bird guide for Bharatpur and Bund Baretha.

All the Best
David Siems
Devonport
Tasmania