birding-aus

Kingfisher Bay, Fraser Island + Shearwater ID help

To: <>
Subject: Kingfisher Bay, Fraser Island + Shearwater ID help
From: "Lee & Margi" <>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 16:02:36 +1000
Hi all

The Hervey Bay bird watchers had their Christmas function at Kingfisher Bay
Resort again this year.  In between morning tea, lunch and relaxing around
the resort we managed to get some bird watching done.

On the trip over to the resort we managed to sight;

Silver Gull

Gull-billed tern

Crested Tern

Osprey

Brahminy Kite

Brown Booby

Little Pied Cormorant

Short-tailed Shearwater (****see below****)

On the island we sighted;

Little Black Cormorant

White-bellied Sea-Eagle

Brahminy Kite

Whistling Kite

Eastern Curlew

Whimbrel

Sooty Oystercatcher

Pied Oystercatcher

Little Egret

White-faced Heron

Buff Banded Rail

Sulpher Crested Cockatoo

Bar Shouldered Dove

Noisy Friar-bird

Blue Faced Honeyeater

Mangrove Honeyeater

Scarlet Honeyeater

White Cheeked Honeyeater

Lewins Honeyeater

Dusky Honeyeater

Brown Honeyeater

White Throated Honeyeater

Leaden Flycatcher

Eastern Yellow Robin

Grey Shrike Thrush

Black-faced Cuckoo Shrike

Cicadabird (F)

Forest Kingfisher

Kookaburra

Rainbow Bee-eater

Striated Thornbill

Large-billed Scrubwren

Mistletoebird

Red-backed Fairy Wren

Fork-tailed Swift

Tree Martin

Welcome Swallow

Torresian Crow

In relation to the Shearwater, only two people sighted it off the boat on
the way over and I managed to get a quick (slightly out of focus) picture of
it.  It was identified as a 'Short-tailed Shearwater' by some members of our
group based on my photo (I'm no expert on sea birds) and the location (i.e.
Hervey Bay - QLD).

After looking at a few field guides I'm just a bit curious as the bird we
saw had white under its wings which appeared more obvious than that
indicated in my field guides for the Short-tailed (you can see some of this
in the photo).

If anyone who is familiar with Shearwaters would like me to email a copy of
the photo for their assessment just let me know (off list) and I'll email
you a copy for your opinion (sorry but I'm not exactly sure how or where I
would post a copy on a website?).

Thanks & Happy Birding

Lee

Hervey Bay - QLD