birding-aus

Collared Sparrowhawk - specific name

Subject: Collared Sparrowhawk - specific name
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:15:49 +1100
On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 03:45:02PM +1100, Hugo Phillipps wrote:
> Hi everybody -
>
> Can anyone tell me the 'correct' , or possibly the 'currently consensually
> accepted' , specific name for the Collared Sparrowhawk?  Both HANZAB 2 and
> Christidis & Boles have 'cirrhocephalus' while many others, including the
> Sibley & Monroe checklist, have 'cirrocephalus'.  Is one of these more
> 'correct' than the other? Is one just a viral typo? Clarification of why
> there are two widespread spellings would be welcome.

The Australian Faunal Directory website gives the following names
under "Accipiter (Paraspizias) cirrocephalus cirrocephalus":

http://www.deh.gov.au/cgi-bin/abrs/fauna/details.pl?pstrVol=AVES;pstrTaxa=2958;pstrChecklistMode=1

* Sparvius cirrocephalus Vieillot, 1817 [spelling of specific name
   is original].
* Accipiter torquatus Vigors & Horsfield, 1827 [junior secondary
  homonym of Falco torquatus Temminck, 1823 in Accipiter Brisson,
   1760].
* Nisus australis Lesson, 1830 [possible nomen nudum; date of
   publication disputed].
* Falco macrodactylus Kaup, 1848 [as synonym of Accipiter torquatus
   Vigors & Horsfield, 1827, and unavailable : ICdZN Art. 11.6].
* Falco striatus Strickland, 1855 [as synonym of Sparvius cirrocephalus
   Vieillot, 1817 (as "ex Latham"), and unavailable: ICdZN Art. 11.6].
* Accipiter cirrhocephalus Sharpe, 1874 [unjustified emendation of
   Sparvius cirrocephalus Vieillot, 1817, and spelling followed widely
   but far from exclusively since].
* Astur cirrocephalus broomei Mathews, 1912
* Accipiter cirrhocephalus quaesitandus Mathews, 1915
* Accipiter cirrocephalus haesitata Mathews, 1917

(I assume the comments comes from Dick Schodde?  He is listed as
the compiler of the entry.)

Google score:  "cirrhocephalus" returned 863 hits, while
"cirrocephalus" returned a whopping 89,900 hits...

Taxonomy is never that simple, though.