birding-aus

Southern Limit of the Pheasant Coucal

To: <>, <>
Subject: Southern Limit of the Pheasant Coucal
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 13:58:06 +1100
>From what I can see the most southern records in BAs Birdata (Atlas of
>Australian Birds) are a couple of birds seen near Sussex Inlet near Jervis Bay.

That being said Roy Wheeler's 1967 publication "A Handlist of the Birds of
Victoria" mentions Pheasant Coucal in the supplementary list (i.e. birds which
need some clarification), see page 77. (Wheeler's supplementary list is in fact
fairly erroneous, for example Royal Albatross is also in the list.)

With the influx of northern migrants to Victoria, such as Figbird,
Channel-billed Cuckoo, Topknot Pigeon, White-headed Pigeon, it may be only a
matter of time for Coucal to start turning up in Victoria.

There are historical records of the giant coucal Centropus colossus in
Victorian ;-)

Tim Dolby