birding-aus

Gull

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Gull
From: "Bill Stent" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 13:38:08 +1100
Received from Mike Grigg:

From: Mike Grigg
Sent: Tue 21/11/2006 10:16 AM
To: 'Simon Mustoe'; Geoffrey Dabb
Cc: ;
Subject: RE: [Birding-Aus] Gull

Simon,

While I wouldn't know a Black-tailed Gull if it fell on me, I'm rather
perplexed by your response to Geoffrey's photos.  How can it be a young Silver
Gull if it has pale (yellowish) legs and a pale yellow black tipped bill. My
Field Guide ( Michael Morcombe)  shows a juv Silver-Gill as having dark (brown)
legs and a dark (blackish) bill.

My Field Guide also gives the size of a Silver-Gull as 39-42 cm and a
Black-tailed Gull as 45-48 cm.  The difference of some 6 cm is hardly 'almost
twice the size' as you indicate in your e-mail.

Grateful your advice

Mike

'Own Your Life'
 0427 604 994