birding-aus

Bassian Thrush at Wilson Rsv, Ivanhoe, Vic.

To: Robert Bender <>
Subject: Bassian Thrush at Wilson Rsv, Ivanhoe, Vic.
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 13:10:33 +1100
At about 11.30 this morning I was walking around Wilson Reserve in Ivanhoe. A good location for 'bush birds' as a rule.

At the junction of the main track along the riverbank and the track from the Irvine Rd car-park, near the end of the Ivanhoe Golf-course, a well-marked Bassian Thrush was searching through fallen bark and leaf litter. It was not apparently alarmed and came onto the path within 8 feet of me. I stood still and watched it for several minutes as it moved away among the trees and undergrowth. The Friends of Wilson Reserve were weeding Panic Veldt Grass on the other side of the path on Sunday morning - I wondered if it, and a couple of Yellow Robins, had been attracted by recently disturbed soil. .

Since about 1980, I have only seen Bassian Thrush here about three times - all winter sightings. Not what I expected on a hot morning - temp. about 30 degrees, with a hot north wind, though cloudy conditions.

Anthea Fleming
in Ivanhoe, Vic.