birding-aus

Alice/Uluru trip report

Subject: Alice/Uluru trip report
From: "Frank Rheindt" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 06:35:06 +0100
Dear all,

Rory O'Brien and myself went on a long-weekend trip to Uluru and the Alice Springs area from 3-7 Nov 06 to look for a few of the region's endemics and specialties. Below I am listing some of the most remarkable species of our trip.

Many thanks go to the numerous Birding-AUS subscribers that have replied to my request for information about Alice birds a few weeks ago. Without their input, the trip would not have been nearly as successful as it was. We are also grateful to Alice birder Syd (?) for opening the gates of the Alice Sewage ponds for us and accompanying us through the pond area.

If you have any queries or questions, please contact either Rory or me off-list.

Black-breasted Buzzard: 2 between Uluru and Erldunda
Spinifex Pigeon: only 3 at carpark Ormiston Gorge
Mulga Parrot: several Kunoth Well
Spotted Nightjar: 1 seen well in floodlights of petrol station at Erldunda
Red-backed Kingfisher: 2 between Stuart's Well and Alice; 1 at Ellery Creek
Dusky Grasswren: a pair seen beautifully in Ormiston Gorge
Slaty-backed Thornbill: many Kunoth Well
Banded Whiteface: 3 at traditional site 21 km N Erldunda
Gray-headed Honeyeater: Olgas, Ormiston Gorge
Brown Honeyeater: Stuart's Well, Ormiston
Crimson Chat: 20-30 near Simpson's Gap; c. 20 Kunoth Well
Orange Chat: c. 20 Kunoth Well
Chiming Wedgebill: c. 7 at 21km N Erldunda
Western Bowerbird: c. 10 Ormiston
White-backed Swallow: Kunoth Well, Alice, between Erldunda and Uluru
Spinifexbird: c. 3-4 seen, c. 6 heard, near Ormiston
Painted Firetail: c. 60 Ormiston

DEPARTMENT OF GENETICS
University of Melbourne