birding-aus

"Doubters peck at 'new parrot' claim"

To: "Mike Carter" <>, "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: "Doubters peck at 'new parrot' claim"
From: "Andrew Thelander" <>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 17:29:11 +1000
Hi Mike

What you say may well be correct.  My reading of Greg's article is that the
accusation being made against John Young is that he made "the same claim [of
discovery] a decade ago".  The article does not accuse him of identification
error or dishonesty.  Indeed, for me, the most refreshing aspect of the
article is confirmation via the Qld Environment Minister that John is
collaborating with Dr Ian Gynther on the preparation of an article for the
Emu journal.  I expect this will take some further field work and collection
of DNA samples etc.  Philip Hammond's Courier Mail article included one
fig-parrot photograph but actually said there were "dozens" and some of them
only taken about a year ago.  I for one would be very surprised if Dr
Gynther hasn't already seen all these photos.  Lucky devil!
We live in exciting ornithological times, Mike.  If the science eventually
proves a brand new species - that's one more tick for you to get.  How do
you rate your chances???
Regards
Andrew