birding-aus

Ruff Justice

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Ruff Justice
From: "Crispin Marsh" <>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:25:17 +1100
Dear Edwin and other birders,
I thought I had this twitching thing well sorted. As soon as you hear of a rare
bird being sited leap into the nearest suitable mode of transport and get
there! Then you see the bird. Worked like a treat with the square tailed kites
nesting in Brisbane and the recent painted snipe in the Hunter. So when Edwin
headed his e-mail last night "RUFF" I had to tell she who must be obeyed that
the planned Sunday morning visit to the fish markets would have to wait.

Up bright and early and off to Pitt Town lagoon (Hawkesbury river valley NW of
Sydney) arriving at about 7:30 to find Keith Brandwood and Lorand Szucs already
there and the bad news that the ruff was not to be seen. There were an amazing
gathering of other birds including marsh and wood sandpipers, 4 species of
crake or rail, latham's snipe, pink eared ducks, glossy ibis etc. Keith
suggested looking in Bakers Lagoon and a  couple of other lagoons along Edwards
Road Richmond. I looked in all of these sights and returned again to Pitt Town
lagoon without a sight of the ruff.

So much for the theory. It works sometimes but doesn't work at others. I call
that ruff justice.
Regards
Peter Marsh