birding-aus

White-breasted Woodswallow aerial feeding.

To: <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: White-breasted Woodswallow aerial feeding.
From: "Jon Wren" <>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:30:19 +1100
Gooday all,
I was conducting an Atlas Count at Greenswamps Road via Bowen 20 00 00S Qld. yesterday afternoon and observed some neat behaviour by an adult White-breasted Woodswallow. The bird had prey in its beak and way too small for me to identify, but what I did notice was the bird dropping the prey then re-cartching it as it fell downwards. The bird done this on four seperate occasions over a period of approx. 2 mins before consuming what ever it was. Do Woodswallows or for that matter birds play with their food or prey? Did the bird tenderise a hard shelled insect by recatching the prey in its bill on each occasion, or was it just getting the prey in position for a rapid departure down its throat? I also noted the aerial exchange of food between an adult and immature White-breated Woodswallow. In all a great arvo and always something new to observe with the family. Jon Wren