birding-aus

Atherton Tablelands, QLD. Parrot-Finches, Painted Snipe and Golden Bower

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Atherton Tablelands, QLD. Parrot-Finches, Painted Snipe and Golden Bowerbirds.
From: <>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 08:47:51 +1000
Greetings,
Blue-faced Parrot-Finches are still on Gourka Road, Butchers Creek. Though
proving very difficult to get good views.

Painted Snipe and a Latham's Snipe at the northern end of Hasties Swamp.

The Golden Bowerbird site at Longlands Gap near Mt Hypipamee shows no sign of
activity. There was a little lichen there early in the year but may have been a
human introduction. A near by juvenile has not yet coloured but his bower is
improving. Activity at other sites is slow and late.

Carol Page and I spent a rather frustrating day yesterday in that many of her
target birds stayed just out of clear sight. We followed a male Yellow-breasted
Boat-bill for 40 metres as it paralleled a track. The first Tooth-billed
Bowerbird moved so close to us that it felt like we should be able to touch him
but no clear sighting was afforded. Yellow-throated Scrub-wrens only cleared
obstructions with their backs to us and so the day went...

The snipe, a family of Pied Monarchs really close, Bazas and Rifle birds made
it not too disappointing but (sigh!) who'd be a bird watcher?

The evening went rather better. What's that asked Carol as we started to
spotlight. A male tree-roo climbing up a tree and then out along a branch gave
a demonstration of most to its locomotion techniques. top views then of all the
usual suspects in this part of the Tablelands.

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road