birding-aus

$th Fig-parrot

To: <>
Subject: $th Fig-parrot
From: "Neville Schrader" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 20:12:57 +1100
Whether the John Young figparrot turns out to be a new taxa or and undescribed
adult plumage for coxeni is irrelevant to me, it at least established that the
SE Queensland/Northern NSW figparrot still exists. Obviously only in small
numbers but if it is anywhere in the rainforest areas then most of the region
is protected under National Park status so its future should be secure not
counting climate change..

These figparrot (all races) are fantastic little birds I often use to see them
west of Kyogle when I a kid (40+) years ago, then Cayley called this race the
Blue-faced Fig-Parrot. At our dairy farm we had a small patch of rainforest
dominated by a couple of enormous fig trees every year as they fruited, the
fig-parrots arrived usually in flocks of 3 to 5 individuals, with upto thirty
sometimes to be found feeding. I could never understand why they became rare as
most of that country at least around Kyogle pretty well remains the same today,
if not in better condition rainforest wise. The only thing is possibly nesting
trees since these large Eucalyptus trees were the ones usually harvested or
ring barked at least when I was young.

With any luck John will now rediscover the Paradise Parrot.

Regards.

Neville W. Schrader OAM
2 Elizabeth St.,
Parkes NSW 2870