birding-aus

Hunter Home Brewers Twitchathon tally

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Hunter Home Brewers Twitchathon tally
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 23:04:58 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

Just a quick post to let you know how the Hunter Home Brewers fared in the 2006
Twitchathon - very well!

Our provisional total is 233 species, a new record for the NSW event and the
highest that I'm aware of for this year at the moment. I'm imagining that Alan
Morris will be posting a detailed provisional scores message soon.

In summary, we have put our great tally down to a number of factors - the
foremost being intensive route reconnaisance and hard work on the day (we
managed about 45 minutes sleep). But another factor is probably the drought,
with many birds normally found further west being present in the Hunter
catchment. The drought probably also played a factor in the chief rival's - the
Whacked Out Woodswallows - not gaining as large a score (but still pretty
close!), as they start further west than us.

I will post a full summary of our run at a later date, but our strengths were
probably western woodlands / wetlands, a 'mop-up' of western birds in the
Hunter and a slightly different tactic for our waders (which apparently let
many Hunter teams down).

So the cards are on the table for the Vic's now!

Mick Roderick