birding-aus

Parkes STP

To: "Baus" <>
Subject: Parkes STP
From: "Graham Turner" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:20:28 +1000
G'day Birders, I had to go to Parkes (central western NSW) last week for work
and had enough time to take in a quick look at Parkes sewage treatment plant.
Fortunately I was able to get directions from Neville Schrader local birder
extradinaire and found the place without any issues (directions below just so
that they are on the archive).

I arrived at about 5:00 pm and saw that a large portion of the local duck
population was taking refuge at what must be one of the last remaining wetlands
in the area. Its as dry as the proverbial at Parkes at the moment (more on this
to follow). I saw about 40 species in the 45 minutes I was there, and this was
without checking out the whole area, due to the sun setting and needing an
early start the next day.

Highlights include both little and noisy friarbird in the same grove of trees,
a spectacularly plumaged marsh tern, a lone Japanese snipe, spotted harrier and
black tailed native hens (6+). Neville said that there are also sharp-tailed
sandpiper and avocet at this spot, but I didn't see them

Definitely worth a visit for anyone in the area

Cheers
Graham Turner

Directions to Parkes STP
 >> The Parkes Sewage Farm is to found by taking the Eugowra road , after
>> Goobang creek crossing [signposted as Billabong Creek], take the first turn
>> to the right, across the
>> railway line and follow [dirt] road for approximately 2km, ponds on the
>> right.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Neville

List in motel room order (forgot my pen)
Black duck
Wood duck
Hardhead
Pink eared duck
Shelduck
Aust. grebe
Hoary headed grebe
Coot
Shoveller
Black tailed native hen
Marsh tern
White ibis
Straw neck ibis
Pied stilt
Japanese snipe (tried to turn it into a painted, but couldn't)
Little pied cormorant
Red kneed dotterel
Black fronted dotterel
Swan