birding-aus

Possible(??) Great-billed Heron near Cunnamulla

To: <>
Subject: Possible(??) Great-billed Heron near Cunnamulla
From: "Tim Murphy" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 17:44:44 +1000
I have just posted a sighting record on the  Birds Queensland Web Site of a
reported Great-billed Heron near (45-50 km east on highway) Cunnamulla,
SOUTH WEST QUEENSLAND/ It was reported in a shallow lagoon near the highway
on the 22nd September.

The observer, who describes himself as a competent and keen bird watcher (he
has been to see the GH Lapwing) saw one large stout heron (smaller than
Jabiru) with correct color for GBH. It was observed at 250 meters in a small
lagoon though a 50X Kiowa scope. The water in the lagoon was so shallow that
it was assumed to be grass but dancing Brolgas were splashing water.

As sightings officer of Birds Queensland, I am well aware that this location
is 750 from the sea and is almost incredible for a non--migratory coastal
bird.

The observer did not have his digital camera with him, and my attempt to
verify the bird (I was near Cunnamulla) failed due to a con rod though a
crank case.

I am reporting this for the delection and interest of BQ_Forum and Bird_Aus
members, so that anyone in  the area might check it and that any possible
suggestions as to alternative identification could be made.

Tim Murphy

PS. I did not suggest filling in a rare bird report - it would not be
accepted in a million years.