birding-aus

I'd like to hear from people who haven't seen or searched for grasswrens

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: I'd like to hear from people who haven't seen or searched for grasswrens as well as people who have
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:48:30 +1000
Thanks to all the birders who have responded to my grasswren survey - so far I've received responses from about 10% of the Birding Aus membership, but I'd like to hear from at least 50%. I'd like to hear from people who haven't been chasing grasswrens, so I have a basis for examining the group who have been out looking for grasswrens.

Some interesting trends that have emerged from the early data received so far are that:
Striated are the most commonly seen GW
Black are the least seen GW
White-Throated GW has the highest dip rate
Quite a few people have seen Striated and Dusky while they weren't searching for GW.

Bearing in mind that your participation in this survey is totally voluntary and that you will not be identified in the course of this research, if you haven't responded to my grasswren survey, I'd very much appreciate it if you could answer the following questions:

1. Have you ever seen or searched for a Grasswren in the wild in Australia?

2. How many species of birds have you seen in Australia?

3. Where do you currently live? (Please list your town/city if you live in a built up area or region if you live in a rural area)

4. What is your age group? (Under 20, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70 or over).

5. If you have seen or searched for a Grasswren in the wild in Australia, would you be willing to answer further questions about those birding activities?

Please note that the submission of your response will be accepted as an indication of your consent to participate in this project. Please send your responses directly to me (either at or ), rather than replying via Birding Aus.

Regards, Laurie Knight.