birding-aus

Tin Can Bay

To: <>
Subject: Tin Can Bay
From: "Lee & Margi" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 05:29:03 +1000
Hi all

The Maryborough Birdwatchers Club had a great day at Tin Can Bay (QLD) on
Sat.

The weather was fine and sunny, plus we had a nice cool breeze coming off
the water so we didn't get too hot from all our walking.

We started the day at the picnic grounds and proceeded to walk all along the
foreshore to our lunch spot about 4kms away.  The walk was very easy,
enjoyable and wound its way through sections of beach, mangroves and native
trees.  We had fantastic views of Rainbow Bee-eaters (I've never seen so
many in one place, they were everywhere!), Mangrove Honeyeaters, White
Cheeked Honeyeaters, and Brahminy & Whistling Kites.

After lunch we went to the wild flower walk on the other side of Tin Can Bay
and got great views of Variegated Fairy-Wrens and Collared Kingfishers.

Didn't get any new birds for my list (no sign of the Red-Winged Parrots
which the Tin Can Bay brochure said were common for the area - oh well, next
time perhaps).

All up the group had another wonderful time exploring somewhere different.

Our list for the day:

Straw-Necked Ibis

Torresian Crow

Wood Duck

Magpie

Masked Lapwing

Blue-Faced Honeyeater

Spotted Turtledove

Figbird

Pied Butcherbird

Pelican

Pied Cormorant

Crested Pigeon

Rainbow Bee-eater

Mangrove Honeyeater

White Ibis

Silver Gull

Welcome Swallow

Little Egret

Brown Honeyeater

Pied Oystercatcher

Gull-Billed Tern

Whistling Kite

Brahminy Kite

Kookaburra

Grey Shrike Thrush

Sulpher-Crested Cockatoo

House Sparrow

Magpie Lark (plus sighted one nesting pair)

Rainbow Lorikeet

Noisy Friarbird

White Throated Honeyeater

Mistletoebird

White Cheeked Honeyeater

Greenshank

Forest Kingfisher

Eastern Curlew

Rufus Whistler

Whimbrel

Leaden Flycatcher (plus a couple of pairs on nests)

Terek Sandpiper

Black-Faced Cuckoo-Shrike

Tree Martin

Striated Heron