birding-aus

RFI - Western NSW, SA

To: <>
Subject: RFI - Western NSW, SA
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:56:28 +1000
Hi all
I am travelling across to Adelaide and back in the 1st 2 weeks of October
(visiting friends, seeing some outback with my kids) and looking for
interesting birds as we go.  Our route takes us:
OUT: Sydney - Cowra - Hay - Mildura (visiting Mungo & Hattah) - Adelaide
BACK: Adelaide - Broken Hill (visiting Kinchega) - Cobar - Gilgandra -
Dubbo - Sydney

I'm looking for a number of possible species, incl:
Superb Parrot (around Cowra-W Wyalong),
Elegant & Blue Winged Parrots (around Adelaide - there was a recent RFI on
this, but only one published answer - Aldiga Scrub),
Spotted Nightjar,
Striated Fieldwren (may not get far enough south of Adelaide),
Rufous Fieldwren
Gilberts Whistler

In particular, any recent sightings of more nomadic species - Painted, Pied
or Black Honeyeaters or Orange or Crimson Chats?

I have planned stops of varying lengths at Charcoal Tank nr W Wyalong, Hay
Water Treatment works (if I can find directions), the reservoir at Broken
Hill, New Cobar Tank & STW, around Gilgandra (from A Morris' posting of
Sunday - good timing!), Dubbo Zoo

Any hints on interesting sites gratefully received - you can answer direct
or via birding-aus to get some more info into the archives (which I have
already been trawling for hints!)
Also, how do I track any interesting SA sightings?  I may not have access to
a computer - is there an equivalent to NSWBirdline for SA?
Cheers and many thanks in advance (hopefully!)
Tom Wilson