birding-aus

NSW Hunter Region - Bulga - 24th September 2006

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: NSW Hunter Region - Bulga - 24th September 2006
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 19:48:52 +1000
Today (24th September 2006), Stuart Pickering and I braved the elements
of very hot (30-35 degrees) and dry gusty winds for some good birding in
the Bulga area in the NSW Hunter Valley (approx. 170 km NW of Sydney
CBD).

At Broke we had good views of 3 Latham's Snipe feeding out in the open
in a shallow swamp and heard a Striped Honeyeater.

At the McDonald River Bridge at Bulga we had excellent eye level views
of a male Mistletoebird, Pied Butcherbirds, several Rainbow Bee-eaters
and heard Reed Warblers, Scarlet Honeyeaters and Double-barred Finches.

Along Wambo Rd in Bulga we had a good mix of birds including a Brown
Goshawk with an Australian Hobby, Shining Bronze-cuckoo, Rufous
Songlark, a White-winged Triller, 4 Red-capped Robins (2 adult males, an
immature male and a female), a male Hooded Robin, Jacky Winters, Rufous
Whistlers, Speckled Warblers, White-throated and Western Gerygones,
Varied Sitellas, Striped Honeyeater, Striated Pardalotes and
White-winged Choughs. I may have also briefly heard a White-browed
Woodswallow here as well. Also seen here were 2 Eastern Bearded Dragons,
a Red-necked Wallaby and Eastern Grey Kangaroos.

Finally, along Wallaby Scrub Rd (also in Bulga) we had 2 Common
Bronzewings, 3 Rufous Songlarks, a female White-winged Triller, a pair
of Hooded Robins, Restless Flycatcher,  2 Grey-crowned Babblers, another
Western Gerygone, Speckled Warblers, Varied Sitellas and Brown
Tree-creepers.

On our way up at Wollombi, we saw a very sick looking Wombat out in the
heat and busily feeding beside the road.

Despite the terrible bush birding conditions we stilled scored well with
good to excellent views of most species seen.

Edwin Vella