birding-aus

PROBABLE AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER - MIA 21.9.06

To: "Birding-Aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: PROBABLE AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER - MIA 21.9.06
From: "Graham Buchan" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:30:53 +1000
Folks,

I was down at Penrhyn today with Roger McGoverne, Mike Carter, Richard Baxter
and a few others. The bird was not around, nor was the Curlew Sandpiper which
had been with it. The Pacific was there, eventually coming out of the mangroves
among with 9 Sharpies. And then 2 Gull-Billed Terns turned up - a first for me
at Penrhyn. I also saw one at Eastlakes about 9am on the way to Penrhyn.

Mike, Richard and I tried also at the mudflats on the way to Kurnell and at the
little sandpit mudflats near Kurnell. No joy but did see Pied Pystercatcher,
Curlew, Whimbrel and Grey-Tailed Tattler, as well as 3 Sacred Kingfishers. Back
again to Penrhyn but still nought.There was also a Brown Quail spotted by
Richard back at Penrhyn.

So, as the Governator would say,..."I'll be BAAACK!" tomorrow morning.

bins and stalikng skills) and wellies/boots to cross the mudflats. I will post
the pictures over the weekend - can anyone recommend the best site for these
(note you need to compare the different species, so a species-specific website
won't work if you want to analyse the differences between the subject bird and
the Pacific which was accompanying it). Without the comparison Pacific I
wouldn't even consider putting this bird up as American Golden Plover - I
really want a highly experienced birdo to see it before I send in a submission!

Regards,

Graham Buchan