birding-aus

Some northern Vic happenings.

To: <>
Subject: Some northern Vic happenings.
From: "simon starr" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:49:09 +1000
Dear Birdos,
A few observations to share from Pyramid Hill and surrounds..

Singing Honeyeaters collecting spiders webs from dense vegetation near dam
and kids playground equipment. Welcome swallows have learnt not to nest
under our corrugated iron verandah where the chicks literally fry on the
first hot day, they've now rebuilt under our porch, much better.

Pairs of Banded Lapwing scattered around the area with young (some nearly
fledged). One parent encountered on dirt road at night. Too late to brake,
the bird just crouched and let the car drive right over it. On
investigating, it was unharmed and protecting 2 chicks.

Waders returning, at Lake Tutchewop (Sharpies, RNStints, Marsh Sandpipers
and Greenshank). Amongst 20 or so Curlew Sandpipers was one bird whose body
feathers were still in complete summer plumage. Literally thousands of
Red-necked Avocet, Grey Teal, Pink-eared Duck and Hoary-headed Grebes. Also
a few Blue-winged Parrots around the lake.

Hird Swamp near Cohuna currently being filled.

Cullens lake to receive water aswell I hear.

Some good birding at Wychitella including Southern Scrub-robins, Shy
Heathwrens, Gilberts Whistler,  Tawny-crowned Honeyeaters, lots of
White-fronted Honeyeaters, and a Malleefowl mound with some recent activity.

My local Brolga nesting site has all but dried up (1 small pool left),
however it's currently  inhabited by Spotted and Baillon's Crakes.

Swift Parrots have been hanging around Kooyoora state park at Wehla.

A recent visit to Chiltern (15th to 17th Sept) was great. Painted
Honeyeaters collecting nest material (Bartley's paddock), Turquoise Parrots
at Bartleys and Cyanide dam.( a tick !!!, and stunning too),Swift Parrot at
Cyanide dam, 2 Square-tailed Kites over Cyanide dam. Regent honeyeaters have
moved apparently, I still looked but to no avail.

Conditions very dry again after a little rain. Most crops still hanging in
but only just.  I wont have to do much mowing this year.

New bird for my garden list !  6 White-breasted Woodswallows briefly on 13th
Sept.  ( first I saw in the district were on the 22nd August).

Other spring migrants I've seen so far  include Western Gerygone, 4 sp of
cuckoo, Fairy Martins, Little Friarbirds, Whiskered Terns, 1 White-winged
Triller, Olive-backed Orioles
Still waiting to see my first Songlarks and White-browed Woodswallows, can't
be long now.

Happy spring birding,
regards,
Simon Starr.