birding-aus

Nose record?

To: <>
Subject: Nose record?
From: "Bill Stent" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:09:45 +1000
You've heard of garden lists, life lists and hand lists, well this is
now on my nose list.

This morning I was riding to work, just starting along my home street
(Kew East, Victoria), when I passed the nesting site of a red
wattlebird.  This individual, like some other red wattlebirds, tends to
swoop at this time of year.  They hurt less than magpies, but I've found
them to be much more tenacious.

My normal defence against wattlebirds and magpies is to look around
ostentatiously, in the belief that birds only swoop from behind, and
they break off when they see you watching them.  However, when you're
riding a bike, it's - shall we say - "advisable" to keep an eye out
forwards as well, meaning you can't be watching over your shoulder all
the time.

Of course, the wattlebird was in the process of attacking from behind as
I turned my head.  It was probably six inches and closing when I found
myself face to belly.  It broke off - or at least attempted to, and I
got clouted by wings on each ear as well as a nose full of belly.  I was
lucky, thinking about it, not to get an eye full of claws.

You know that yellow patch on a red wattlebird's belly?  It was a cold
morning and I had a slightly "cold air" runny nose.  This guy's belly
patch is now green.

Bill