birding-aus

White-faced Herons

To: "Lance Ferris" <>, birdingaus <>
Subject: White-faced Herons
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 06:49:36 +1000
Just playing Devil's Advocate, don't take this as a personal attack fisho's
out there! I am one of you...

So from the below statistics, can it be extrapolated that if there were no
fisherpeople, there would be 10,000 less bird injuries in NSW alone? While
this is obviously unreasonable, I have noted while fishing that fishos can
be a little uncaring, quite single minded. I know one guy who loves nature
and fishing, but HATES pelicans and will chase one off at the first sign of
interest.

Also, dare I say it out loud, but 10,000 birds a year being injured from
fishing makes wind turbine bird strikes look quite insignificant. I guess
fishing line tangled around logs in rivers is more aesthetically pleasing to
some...

Evan