birding-aus

White-faced Herons

To: <>
Subject: White-faced Herons
From: "Lance Ferris" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 20:24:30 +1000
Hi all,
I noticed some entries on some White-faced Herons being hooked and entangled by
fishing tackle.  Some were entangled while some had swallowed hooks.

We have rescued 1026 pelicans, and over 70 species of birds, (waterbirds and
land-based birds) which were suffering from encounters with fishing tackle.

It might be pertinent to note, that when condemning fishers, one should be
aware that our studies have revealed that 94% of injuries are caused
accidentally, when a bird takes a cast bait, grabs a fish as it is being reeled
in, or blunders into a fishing line.   Our 14 years of rescues and studies
reveal that up to 10,000 estuarine birds are hooked or entangled, every year,
in NSW alone.

Discarded line represents a mere 6% of entanglements, however it is still a
serious threat when birds use it for nesting material.

If anyone would like further information, our website has some finer details.
www.seabirdrescue.org

Have a nice day.

Lance Ferris
Australian Seabird Rescue Inc.
WildlifeLink Sanctuary
264 North Creek Road, Ballina. NSW
Australia.
Phone: 02 6686 2852  Mobile: 0428 862 852
Email:   Web: www.seabirdrescue.org