birding-aus

WHITE-FRONTED TERN - PENRHYN

To: "Phil Straw" <>, "Tun Pin Ong" <>
Subject: WHITE-FRONTED TERN - PENRHYN
From: "Graham Buchan" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:56:57 +1000
Folks,

At last a definite White-Fronted Tern at Penrhyn! It was an immature (2nd
year?). Noteable features:

Long black bill with whitish ends to mandibles
Pinkish tinge to chest (at first I thought it might be Roseate)
Dark grey carpal bar (forming dark triangle in flight)
Noticeable white tips to primaries when resting
Slightly longer legs than nearby Common Tern
Secondary coverts quite scaley (black, grey and white)
Reddish legs
The clincher was the call - a high pitched monosyllabic wader-like "schip"(?) -
unlike Common or Arctic

I have seen many Common Terns, as well as 2 WWBlack at Penrhyn in the last two
years so this is a welcome addition to my Penrhyn list. Showery weather after
easterlies seems to be best weather for unusual birds at Penrhyn.

Cheers,

Graham