birding-aus

GHL 9 Sep 2006

Subject: GHL 9 Sep 2006
From: Troy Mutton <>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:23:52 +1000
The GHL was spotted flying away from me on Saturday 9/9 at 9.05 am. All the
roadside ditches were dry, and after driving around for about 40 minutes
with no joy, I decided to try walking along the railway to see if I could
see it anywhere to the south of the tracks. Parked the car over near the
picnic table on the west side of the silos, and as I was walking towards
the silos I was incredibly startled as it flew out from the grass next to
the tracks away to the grasses to the south of the tracks. We had spent
about 10 minutes parked in the car peering into this grass about 20
minutes earlier without spotting anything apart from a Butcherbird. Then
spent another hour or so trying to find it without any luck. Ran into a
couple (didn't catch their names - sorry!) at about 10 or 11, told them
what had happened and headed off to Narrabri.

Came back at around 4pm that day, and spent the next 2 hours driving around
BJ checking all the spots without any luck. There were some dark clouds to
the south and lightning, so decided to head off. The growth on its foot is
quite large - bigger than I thought it would be.

There would have been some rain on Saturday night/Sunday morning, so future
birders might be luckier with some of the ditches by the roadsides possibly
holding some water.

All things considered, had a good day, picking up 64 species. Also noticed
that on B-double/roadkill highways you only get ravens, and the occasional
magpie, but on the smaller dirt tracks, you can pick up a huge number of
birds without even trying. Worth the trip even for a 4 second view of the
GHL.

Cheers
Troy