birding-aus

RFI: Wagga Wagga

Subject: RFI: Wagga Wagga
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 14:14:01 +1000
Albert,
I responded to the last RFI privately, but will send it to Birding-Aus this time. Two places around Wagga are The Rock NR (along the Olympic Way to the SW and west of the town of the same name) and Livingstone NP. The latter is a small reserve, has a good walk to the top, and has typical western slopes birds. The best area for woodland birds is in the Grey Box between the car park and the entrance gate, where a quick walk should see Brown Treecreepers, Diamond Firetails and other typical birds. A small dam along the track (which is still probably dry) is also a good spot with Buff-rumped Thornbills and Varied Sittellas regular. I haven't been to Livinstone which is a former State Forest to the SE of Wagga (I think). It apparently is a large block of slopes woodland and is well worth the visit. Otherwise, the State Forests along the Murrumbidgee (particularly Berry Jerry) should be OK. Superb Parrots should be starting to turn up in that part of the world.
The lagoon in town has the usual assortment of common waterbirds as well.
Follow Laurie's instructions to Griffith where a good range of habitats are available (but is about a 2 hour drive). If there are any specific species you after let me know and can try and point you in the right direction, otherwise good luck.
Cheers,
Peter