birding-aus

3 month trip to Oz

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: 3 month trip to Oz
From: "Rosemary Royle" <>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:24:52 +0100
Hi Birding-Aus'ers,

We are Peter and Rosemary Royle and we are visiting Oz for 3 months from
September 18th. We are hiring a 4WD camper and planning to spend our time
birdwatching, walking and generally enjoying a whole new set of ecosystems.
(Well, new to us anyway.) And not forgetting the "furries" either - I suppose
like every visitor we want to see a koala and a platypus.

We are flying in and out of Brisbane and have sketched out a figure-of-eight
route which we hope will cover a wide variety of habitats and scenery and allow
us to see as many birds a possible. We are restricting ourselves to Queensland
and NSW. We have previously spent 3 weeks in Perth, Broome and the Kimberleys
with George Swann so have already seen many of the "top end" species (including
Black Grasswren!)

Our planned route goes something like this: Brisbane - Lamington - Girraween -
Sundown - Bowra - then NE to Carnarvon - Paluma - Townsville - Mission Beach -
Cairns and surrounding area - Daintree - Atherton Tablelands - then back south
via Eungella - 1770 for boat trip to Lady Musgrave - Cooloola/Inskip Pt -
Brisbane area - then inland across NSW in a SW direction heading for Leeton and
Deniliquin via some of the following: MacQuarie Marshes, Pillaga, maybe Burren
Junction(!), Warrumbungles, then back East to cover the Blue Mountains, the
Capertree Valley, Barren Grounds, a Wollongong Pelagic and maybe Dharug or
Royal NP, a quick visit to Sydney, then N to Myall Lakes and Bundjalung and
back to Brisbane. Phew! (Or we may do nothing like this - we have very little
booked in advance so we can do as the fancy takes us!)

We have done quite a lot of research and have been reading Birding-Aus for a
while to try and get a feel for things. The particular reason for this mailing
is to tap your knowledge about some more intangible and subjective things. So
what we would like to know is:

a)      In view of the recent weather (lack of rain in SE Queensland, typhoons
in the North) are there any well known birding locations which are not worth
visiting at present?

b)      Can you recommend any favourite spots for camping which are full of
birds? (We like nothing better than to just sit and watch with alcoholic
beverage in hand!)

c)      What do you think of our itinerary? Is it feasible in 3 months? Are we
missing anything obvious?

Looking forward to your replies

Peter and Rosemary Royle

from Pembrokeshire in Wales, UK (think puffins!)