birding-aus

GHL

Subject: GHL
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 21:57:27 +1000
Having missed the GHL on Saturday evening (it had been around the silos, but disappeared over the Pillaga Road before I arrived at 5PM) but finding it the following morning, I have a couple of brief comments. I found it at about 6:50 on Sunday morning in the drain near the picnic tables. It was originally was about 3 metres from the road but flew to near the railway tracks where it got increasingly nervous before flying over the tracks and landing next to the Pillaga Road. Three cars drove down the road to opposite the first house on the right where we stopped and watched it feeding in a roadside ditch. We were far enough to watch it without disturbing it, but unfortunately a local drove down a track about three metres from the bird which immediately flushed. It then flew over the house and was not seen again. It apparently was also seen the previous day flying this direction. I suspect there may be some water (or damp areas) behind this house where it escapes to when it is disturbed too often. However, if you look hard enough (particularly early in the morning) you should have no problems. The bird appeared to be putting weight onto its right foot, so even though it is still limping, it definitely wasn't hopping around as had been said earlier. possibly the wound is getting better. One last thing, if you do plan to stay at the Burren Junction Hotel (which I did, though I would have prefered to be on my way back home) make certain you have a spare blanket or sleeping bag. The dongas are incredibly cold if there is a clear, frosty morning and the heaters are not the quietest around. Otherwise a good trip - any one coming from the south I would highly recommend driving from Gilgandra to Coonamble, Pillaga and then Burren Junction (the last 40 kms dirt, but unles wet pretty good). The road between Coonamble and Pillaga (through what was Pillaga West SF - some is probably now NP) is one of the "birdiest" bits of road I have driven on. I have never had to slow down for so many Bronzewings, Crested Pigeons, Bar-shouldered and Peaceful Doves in my life. A brief stop on Monday morning picked up Turquoise Parrot (first bird out of the car) and surprisingly Little Woodswallow. In some respects this was just as enjoyable as twitching the GHL as it was unexpected and a little more challenging (but possibly more on that later).
Cheers,
Peter