birding-aus

Grass Owl at WTP, Werribee, VIC

To: <>, <>
Subject: Grass Owl at WTP, Werribee, VIC
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:36:13 +1000
I have received reports from representatives of two of three groups that
were at the Spit area of the WTP, specifically the road on the southern
boundary of the Western Lagoon, on Sunday night. Both these groups had good
views of a GRASS OWL, identified because the whole of the feet trailed
beyond the tail. Because the bird is very white on the underparts it is
considered to be a male. One observer considered the facial pattern also
identified the bird.

One group also saw a BARN OWL almost at the Spit information sign. The fact
that there are Barn Owls present there is not in the least surprising. These
species are often found together; for instance both were at Yambuk Lake, SW
Victoria in 2002. That Grass Owl was present at least from August into
November. Maarten Hulzebosch, a frequent visitor to the WTP, says that it
would indeed be surprising if anyone stationed at the Spit sign for two
hours from dusk did not see a Barn Owl. They are regular and at times common
on the WTP.

So the identity of any individual owl must be determined; it cannot be
assumed. However, I regard the presence of both species and more importantly
the Grass Owl, as confirmed.

Incidentally, for those who have so far missed out on a certain sighting
there, my advice is to persist. I didn't see the Yambuk Lake bird until the
fourth attempt! Can I remind people that when on that road, it is requested
that you do not venture from your car from March thru October to avoid the
possibility of disturbing Orange-bellied Parrots.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136