birding-aus

Bird Notes from NW Queensland

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Bird Notes from NW Queensland
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 15:00:18 +1000
G'day all,

Here are some notes for intending visitors to Mount Isa.
Some birding locations are included on Birds Queensland
www.birdsqueensland.org.au Gazetteer Page.
All locations (except Warrigal Waterhole) can be accessed with a high clearance
2WD i.e. a Utility

I can supply mudmaps of many popular sighting locations by email.
But give me several weeks advance notice .. and would those who telephone me
please ask if the timing is convenient.

To enable me to keep this information up to date, I would appreciate if I can
be mailed reports...
preferably by email (or to PO Box 933, Mount Isa, 4825)

Gouldian Finches
Several dozen Gouldian Finches are now resident at Bowthorn Station's
Kingfisher Camp on the Nicholson River
They have been sighted by several groups of birdwatchers travelling from
Doomadgee to Borroloola (NT)

Black Swans
Two weeks ago, 4 pair were seen at their nests at Wide Bay Lake Moondarra.

As the surrounding area dry out from the recent rains, the number of species is
increasing on the lake.

Great Cormorant
4 active nests were seen 2 weeks ago on Lake Corella
This breeding record is very rare for this part of the world

Great-crested Grebes
Large numbers are at both L Corella & L Moondarra

Grasswrens
A good % of the birding world, all armed with Thomas & Thomas, seem to be
looking for our local Grasswrens.
My advise is to seek the birds at any suitable habitat,
...rather than standing & waiting for the birds to appear where T&T saw them
some years ago.

The Ballara race of Dusky are on ALL the local hills .. but they must have old
unburnt spinifex available.
Their territory extends over a 100km to the NE, E & S of Mount Isa.

The Carpentarian has been recorded at many places along the Barkly Highway
towards Camooweal
And recently along McNamara's Road it has been recorded both at 3 and 13 km N
of the highway.
.. in other words NOT at the 8km cairn.
The Carpentarian generally likes flat ground, with NO grass between the clumps
of spinifex

Both species of Grasswrens feed actively in the middle of the day, regardless
of the heat.

Flock Bronzewings & Letter-winged Kites
There are no recent records of these species.

Regards from
Bob Forsyth
Mount Isa, NW Qld.
ps I prefer using the name Ballara Grasswren than Kalkadoon