birding-aus

Kookaburra eating fish

To: <>, Steve Creber <>
Subject: Kookaburra eating fish
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 20:59:09 +1000
Sorry.  Can't resist.

Years ago I'd just got the barbecue going on the picnic ground at Millstream
Falls on the Atherton Tableland.  Was sitting at the picnic table sorting
the steak, when my wife called, "Look out!  There's a Kookaburra."

I extended both arms over the table, but to no avail.  The kooka shot under
my left elbow, grabbed a steak, flew up to a branch about 20 m away and
proceeded to tenderise the steak - to the obvious amusement of some other
Park visitors.

Ignorant (expletive deleted) kookaburra!  It was best steak; didn't need
tenderising.

Syd