birding-aus

RE: A quick trip around Hervey Bay

To: <>
Subject: RE: A quick trip around Hervey Bay
From: "Lee & Margi" <>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 15:59:50 +1000
Hi All,

Had a nice morning in the bay today, there was some strong wind so
unfortunately I didn't see as much as I had hoped too, but I  managed to get
a nice list of birds for a couple of hours.

First stop was Arkarra Lagoons where I got:

Pacific Black Duck, White Browed Scrubwrens, Lewins Honeyeater, Brown
Honeyeater, Rufus Whistler, Grey Fantail, Golden Whistler, Purple swamphen,
Coot, Dusky Moorhen, Royal Spoonbill, Figbird, Spangled Drongo, Azure
Kingfisher, Nankeen Night Heron, Plumed Whistling Duck, Little Black
Cormorant, Little Pied Cormorant, Darter, White Breasted Woodswallow,
Rainbow Bee-eater, Magpie, Magpie Geese, Welcome Swallow, Hardhead, Rainbow
Lorikeet, Sulpher Crested Cockatoo, Magpie Lark, Dusky Honeyeater, Little
Wattlebird, Spotted Turtle Dove, Little Friar Bird, Crow, Black Swan, Masked
Lapwing, Little Shrike Thrush, Aust Grebe, Brush Turkey, Straw Necked Ibis,
Leaden Flycatcher, White Throated Honeyeater, Wood Duck, Red Back
Fairy-wren, Kookaburra, White Throated Gerygone, Eastern Yellow Robin and.

Saving the best for last, I had my first sighting of an Australian Owlet
Nightjar, Woohoo! - Its been sighted a few times by the bird club but it
hasn't been out of its log when I get there on weekends.

A quick stop at the Vine Forest for a walk to the beach, and I added,

Osprey

Noisy Miner

Blue Faced Honeyeater

Eastern Curlew

White Faced Heron

Pied Butcherbird

After that a drive around the lakes at Eli Waters got me,

Nankeen Kestrel (trying to get a Magpie)

Great Egret

Feral Geese

Crested Pigeon

Yellow Spoonbill

Pelican

My final stop of the day was the rocks/mangroves at Point Vernon where I
added

Little Egret

Black Wing Stilt

Brahminy Kite

Australian Hobby

Silver Gull

Gull Billed Tern

Square Tailed Kite

66 for the morning with one new bird to add to my list.

Happy Birding

Lee

Hervey Bay - QLD