birding-aus

Tamborine and Springbrook National Parks: Albert's Lyrebird and others

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Tamborine and Springbrook National Parks: Albert's Lyrebird and others
From: Charles Hunter <>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 20:22:06 +1000 (EST)
Hi all,

  Finally success with Albert's Lyrebird on Saturday 29th July at Tamborine NP
in south Queensland (Gold Coast hinterland). I was in the Joalah section
(closed part of the track).

  Like a scene from the fantastic O'Reilly's DVD production on Albert's
Lyrebird, I heard a loud strong song and then followed to see the male on
branches about 1 metre from the ground. I had great views, the sound of cars
and motorbikes did little to detract from the great birding experience (it did
worry me that the road was only 30 metres away)!

  After seeing me, the bird with gorgeous rufous colour (the field guides do
not do it justice!), flew up higher. It looked rather uncordinated as it
struggled to get away from me. Yes I felt guitly for disrupting the bird. I
watched the bird for several minutes before it was out-of-sight, high in the
canopy.

  Not much else seen at Tamborine (I also visited MacDonald section where I
have previously had luck with Noisy Pitta). Other birds seen included: Log
runners, Brush-turkey (grunting), Yellow-throated Scrubwren, Crimson Rosella,
Pale-yellow Robin and Brown-Cuckoo-Dove.

  Springbrook National Park (Twin Falls Circuit and part of Warrie Circuit). I
was suprised how much fruit was around (given it is winter).
   - Golden Whistler
   - Wompoo Fruit-Dove
   - 100 + flock of Topknot Pigeons
   - Eastern Spinebill
   - Heard (but did not see) Albert's Lyrebird
   - Grey Shrike-thrush
   - Heard (but not seen) Paradise Riflebird
   - Green Catbird (3-4 seen)

  Other (around Mt Jerusalem NP, in northen NSW)
   - White-necked Heron (near Main Arm which is near Mt Jerusalem NP, NSW)
   - Grey Goshawk (near Main Arm which is near Mt Jerusalem NP, NSW)
   - 2 Pheasant Coucal (near Main Arm which is near Mt Jerusalem NP, NSW)
   - White-throated Treecreeper (Mt Jerusalem NP, NSW)
   - Satin Flycatcher (near Main Arm which is near Mt Jerusalem NP, NSW)
   - White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike (Mt Jerusalem NP, NSW)
   - Topknot Pigeons (all over the area close to Mt Jerusalem NP, NSW)

  Regards,
  Charles Hunter,
  Paddington, Sydney