birding-aus

of interest

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: of interest
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:26:18 +1000
Is this of relevance to observations here in Australia? I received this via
alternate lists and thought that there was a possible serious debate within
our own world. Apologies for any cross-postings.

Dear friends,

I have a question that might be of interest. In Mongolia, at least in last
two years we have observed breeding delays in several bird species. I feel
the average period that birds start to breed may have been changed due to
some reason (perhaps due to changes in average monthly temperature).  For
example, according to our observation saker falcon, demoiselle crane, steppe
eagle, swan geese, and cinereous vulture breeding started from one to four
weeks later than usual in 2005 and 2006. For example, two days ago, I saw a
white downy nestling of steppe eagle at a nest in Khustai National Park,
central Mongolia. Normally, at this time or year steppe eagle nestlings
leave their nest in this region. Last year demoiselle cranes in one of our
monitoring site did not show much breeding. Cranes did not develop pairs and
most birds stayed in flocks throughout most of breeding season. We did not
see any demoiselle cranes laying egg in that area. I assume temperature drop
may have caused all this because we are having long and cold springs in the
past two years.
There might be other taxa which we did not know. I hope this is a temporary
occurrence. But it is certainly not a local change. People working on birds
in different parts of Mongolia have reported similar observation. I wonder
if similar phenomenon is present in other countries.

Regards,
Nyambayar Batbayar
Wildlife Science and Conservation Center, Mongolia

--
Brian Everingham
PO Box 269