birding-aus

Magpie-Goose heading to roost in Brisbane

To: "Tim Murphy" <>
Subject: Magpie-Goose heading to roost in Brisbane
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 17:47:17 +1000
Hi Tim
There have been large nos of M Geese in the wetland area behind the oval
opposite the school! ie just around the corner and almost part of the
reserve you were at. In the last year we have visited several times and
have seen it go from almost bone dry to quite flooded. The Geese numbers
have varied considerably, but I have seen the nos you describe on
occasion.
I think they spend their time moving around the whole area as there is a
lot of rough ground including several wet areas in that immediate
vicinty. At one stage, when the lake was relatively low, RD and myself
accessed the area directly behind the oval and found some more ponds etc
- we had a pair of Black-necked Storks there along with Yellow-rumped
Thornbills and other 'good' birds.
We spoke to a security guard recently (provided by the State gov in an
attempt to stop trail bikes, loose dogs, vandalism etc) and he adv that
there would probably be a connecting path from the location you describe
thru the bush and around the corner to join up with the flooded area I
mentioned! It'll make a large wetland area very accessible and with, as
you suggest, great potential.

Cheers
Colin

--