birding-aus

Lake Wendouree - Ballarat Vic

To: John Harris <>
Subject: Lake Wendouree - Ballarat Vic
From: Tim Dolby <>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:27:39 +1000
Sounds like a good day at Lake Wendouree Johnny.

Interestingly Newlyn Reservoir (30 kms west of Ballarat) is also covered in a
wide variety of waterfowl at the moment, although in lower numbers. If you
include Black Swan and Domestic Geese, there were 13 species of duck on the
reservoir . It appears that the main reason fo this is because the water levels
are very low and as a consequence there's excellent feeding conditions as well
as a number of ephemeral mud islands for the
birds to roost.

Ducks included Freckled Duck, Pink-eared Duck, Blue-billed Duck, Hardhead,
Australian Shoveler, Grey Teal, Chestnut Teal, Pacific Black Duck, Wood Duck,
Musk Duck, Black Swan, Domestic Goose & in the surrounding fields Mountain
Duck. There are also good numbers of other waterbirds such as Great Crested
Grebe.

Cheers,

Tim