birding-aus

GHL and Squatter Pigeons

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: GHL and Squatter Pigeons
From: "Tom Tarrant" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 07:31:46 +1000
On Saturday morning (15 July 2006) Graham Palmer, David Taylor, Marie and
myself did the big 'pilgrimage' to see the GHL and arrived at Burren
Junction around 13.30hrs in the pouring rain and wind.  We looked out for
Matt Hughes's missing petrol-cap but with the weather and copious litter on
the roadside, but no luck I'm afraid (though I have to admit  that our
enthusiasm for the search was a bit less than our desire to see the
bird....sorry Matt)

Near the Silo on the elevated railway line a couple of local birders told us
that they had seen the bird about 20 minutes earlier to the south of this
point. We (and several others) trudged through the clinging mud and saw the
bird with its distinctive 'dangling' leg land some distance in front of
us.....but then it decided to fly over us back to the main road (where we
were originally!) It then promptly 'disappeared' and wasn't relocated until
dusk on the other side of the Silo by Lorand Szucs (....nice work, Lorand!)
Spent about 2 hours searching for it in vain on Sunday morning, but did get
cracking views of the Black Falcon and Peregrine. I'm not sure if it has
been relocated since (possibly moved on with all the wet weather?)

On our return to (not-so-wet) Queensland, we caught up with Musk Duck at
Coolmunda Dam and at Cement Mills near Gore finally had a reunion with a
species that I haven't seen since 1989....Marie spotted Squatter Pigeon (in
the exact area that I've searched extensively in the past couple of months!)
I managed to get some reasonable shots of a couple of the seven birds seen (
http://www.aviceda.org/abid/search.php?action=searchresult&p=9&keyword=squatter+pigeon
)

All up, a muddy and wet weekend but very enjoyable! Thanks to all the
visiting birdos that we met, (there must have been 5 or 6 car-loads while we
were there on Saturday (though none seen early on Sunday)

Tom

--
Tom & Marie Tarrant

http://www.aviceda.org