birding-aus

Backyard mimicry

To: Terry Bishop <>
Subject: Backyard mimicry
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:03:41 +1000
While a pair of starlings nested in our roof the backyard ticks came quickly. I
couldn't believe our
lone narrow-leafed peppermint had attracted a western gerygone, spotted and
striated pardalote,
restless flycatcher, magpie lark, galah, Aussie raven and whistling kite - all
in a 5 minute period.
A starling was sitting on a branch, singing away softly, but note perfect.
Later the songster
managed to croak like a frog and perform the territorial gathering of a clan of
white-plumed
honeyeaters. Yes Terry, look before you tick - but enjoy.

Cheers, Matt Weeks