birding-aus

Avian vocal mimicry

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Avian vocal mimicry
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 23:28:46 +1000
Philip Veerman wrote (13 Jul 2006):

> About bird mimicry. I wish I had the energy to do hours of retyping of an
> pivotal article on the subject, because it really is important in an
> Australian context where we have so many good bird "mimics" apart from that it
> is interesting. Most vocal mimicry by birds is certainly fun and entertaining
> to observe and ponder about but really it is not mimicry within the usual
> biological sense (as in the way that insects mimic the appearance of other
> species for example. In that most vocal mimicry by birds it is NOT directed at
> the model species, it does not benefit the copier by association with the
> model species and it has no relevance to the model species. Most is just
> copying sounds in order to increase the vocal range of the mimic bird. It is
> interesting to speculate about connections between the bowerbird mimicking a
> raptor for example but is their any connection? They mimic so many other
> species as well.

It is relevant to note that "A New Dictionary of Birds" ed. by Sir A.
Landsborough Thomson (now not so 'new' - Nelson, 1964) has separate entries
for:

    "Mimicry - advantageous resemblance of one species to another" and

    "Mimicry vocal - imitation by birds of sounds outside their specifically
characteristic vocalisations."

In "Acoustic Communication in Birds" edited by Kroodsma and Miller (Academic
Press, 1982), a whole chapter is devoted to Avian Vocal mimicry (Volume 2,