birding-aus

(Another) G-hL update

To: David Stowe <>, Russell Woodford <>
Subject: (Another) G-hL update
From: Rod Gardner <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:26:04 +1000
Hi David, Russell, and others,

My main concern in my posting about the lapwing was that it
was no longer putting its right foot down on the ground, as
some previous postings had indicated it was doing even a
couple of days ago (limping, hobbling). In the half hour or
so that I watched it, it didn't once touch the ground with
the foot. It either hopped on the other one, or lay down flat
on its belly. I can't say whether the growth has got bigger.
The bird was, though, still flying strongly. I was just
wondering how long it can go on, as I would have thought
effectively having one leg, and possibly being in a lot of
discomfort, doesn't augur well for longer term survival.

The reddish discolouring on its belly looked like (and was
positioned to suggest) dirt from the ground from frequent
crouching. The fact that it wasn't cleaning/preening this
area is also, possibly, a cause for concern.

Rod