Fw: Grey-headed Lapwing: How it got there - a SCANDAL report

To: "Philip Veerman" <>
Subject: Fw: Grey-headed Lapwing: How it got there - a SCANDAL report
From: John Tongue <>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 12:59:19 +1000
I haven't been to see the bird, and, being in Tassie, won't be either - unless it sticks around for some years! However, I've been following the posts with interest and excitement.

I, too, have been puzzling over why such a bird would turn up here - I know the area reasonably well, having hailed from North West NSW. IT really does seem quite bizarre.

However, to me it does not seem nearly so implausible as this purported explanation!
        - How many 'motels' are there in Burren Junction?
- Why would someone perpetrating such a hoax broadcast it in an Association Newsletter - especially if it involved theft from a zoo? - Wouldn't al Zoos which hold Grey-headed Lapwings (I wonder how many of these there are in Australia), have already checked their stock for 'escapees' since the bird turned up?

I think the attempt to explain the birds arrival as a hoax is, in fact, itself a hoax.

Good birding to all those who get the opportunity to add this most unusual tick to their lists - I must say, I'm a bit envious!

John Tongue,

On Tuesday, July 4, 2006, at 12:32  PM, Philip Veerman wrote:

How it got there - a SCANDAL reportGreetings All,

Apologies to Nevil for sending this on. I have no idea of the veracity of the following but I received this and it really is not fair, not to forward it to the list now. You or anyone else can make their own conclusions or investigations about this. If true and it seems more likely to me than that the bird arrived of its own power, this is not unprecedented. I was not being entirely sarcastic in my earlier message. If the bird arrived in northern Australia then natural occurrence makes sense. I recall the stuffed Night-Heron (years ago or is this a myth) that someone stuck in a tree somewhere in Britain to attract lots of British birding tourists, before eventually it was realised that the bird was dead and stuffed and nailed there (or something like that).


<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>

The University of NSW School of Computer and Engineering takes no responsibility for the contents of this archive. It is purely a compilation of material sent by many people to the birding-aus mailing list. It has not been checked for accuracy nor its content verified in any way. If you wish to get material removed from the archive or have other queries about the archive e-mail Andrew Taylor at this address: andrewt@cse.unsw.EDU.AU