birding-aus

Grey headed Lapwing

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Grey headed Lapwing
From: "Joy Tansey" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 12:29:49 +1000
Hi All,

With a slight touch of madness, Jen Spry, Barb Williams, Helen O'Donnell and
myself departed Melbourne at 12.45am Saturday morning. Taking shifts with the
driving, all tiredness evaporated when at 3.10pm we got our first sight of the
GHLapwing in the small paddock opposite the silos. It was still there as a
spectacular sunset happened above us. We spent the night at the pub, and
entertained ourselves over dinner by playing 'spot the arriving birdo'. The
next morning we headed off to the small paddock and the bird was still there,
even and every time we drove past as we  checked on Plum-headed Finches (thanks
John Barkla for the info), chasing a call that sounded suspiciously like Superb
Parrots (but unable to track anything down before all went quiet),
Double-barred Finches, Plumed Whistling Duck, and oddly a couple of Peacocks.

The slow drive back through the Pillaga disappointed as Glossy Black Cockatoos
continue to be elusive, and the whole Pillaga seemed to be quiet. Getting on to
some Bar-shouldered Doves was unexpected though, as was a Wedgie feeding on a
calf head.

Back into our shift and eventually falling in to bed at home just after 4am
this morning.

Can't think of a better way to spend a weekend!

Cheers

Joy Tansey