birding-aus

Perth Pelagic Report 25th June 2006

To: birdswa email list <>
Subject: Perth Pelagic Report 25th June 2006
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 22:15:25 +0800

Perth Western Australia Pelagic Trip Report Sunday 25th June 2006

Participants (27) :

Frank O'Connor (organiser), Ben Allen, Hilary Brooke, John Brooke, Nick
Brown, Alison Cawley, Maureen Cawley, Ted Cawley, Alan Collins, Hazel
Darnell, John Darnell, Paula Douglas, Rose Ferrell, Belinda Forbes, John
Graff, Cecilia Grant, Ken Grinter, Zoe Hamilton, Chas Hayward, Di Jacoby,
Peter Jacoby, Clive Nealon, Easy Patterson, John Scotford, Peter Taylor,
Roy Teale

Conditions :

Departed Hillarys Boat Harbour at 7.05am. Returned at 3.30pm.  The forecast
was for a fine warm day with a 1 metre sea and a 1 metre swell with a
maximum of 22°C. The winds were forecast to be light 8 to 13 knots SW at
the start, swinging to 10 to 15 knots N/NE in the morning and to NW/W in
the afternoon.  There was no cloud in the morning but the cloud increased
during the day to about 50%.  The sea was at a different direction to the
swell, but generally the conditions were excellent.  The internet indicated
that the sea surface temperatures would be about 22°C, and this combined
with several days of winds mainly from the NE forbade a quiet day.

Description :

The highlight of the trip was a Sooty Shearwater and the performances put
on by the Humpback Whales.  This was the lowest diversity of species that
we have had on a trip from Hillarys, with almost a complete absence of
pterodroma pertrels for the first time.

From Hillarys we headed roughly WSW heading for the trench NW of Rottnest
Island.  Australasian Gannets were in small numbers with a few Great
Skuas.  The first Yellow-nosed Albatross was sighted when we were roughly
north of Rottnest Island, followed briefly by a Wilson's Storm-Petrel and
the first group of Humpback Whales put on a memorable display.  We
continued and detoured for another group of Humpback Whales.

We continued to head for the trench.  There was almost a total absence of
seabirds.  We stopped when we reached 300 metres, and burleyed.  A Welcome
Swallow was a big surprise.  There was very little activity.  The
Yellow-nosed Albatross and a Great Skua gave good photographic opportunities.

We finally headed south stopping when a Wilson's Storm-Petrel was
sighted.  We again burleyed extensively for 90 minutes.  A Soft-plumaged
Petrel and a Bridled Tern were seen off the starboard side but did not
approach the boat.  The number of Yellow-nosed Albatross slowly built up,
and the occasional Wilson's Storm-Petrel was seen in the slick.  The almost
total absence of pterodroma petrels was very surprising.  The excitement
came when a shearwater came in from the port side and landed close to the
boat.  After some discussion, we concluded that it was a Sooty Shearwater,
only the second record on the Hillarys pelagics.  The photographs confirmed
the identity.

After lunch, we headed north roughly along the 250 metres contour, before
we headed for home.  We stopped again for more fantastic displays from a
group of Humpback Whales.  A turtle was seen.  We stopped, but it had
submerged.  The feeling was that it could have been a Loggerhead Turtle.

Thanks to the skipper Trevor and deck hand Reece.  Special thanks to John
Darnell for mixing most of the suet, pollard and oil prior to the trip.

Time/Latitude/Longitude/Depth/Distance/Bearing from Hillarys of most stoppages:

07:05 S31° 49' 34", E115° 44' 16", 5m, 0.0km, 0° (Hillarys Wharf)
08:55 S31° 58' 59", E115° 18' 43", 110m, 43.8km, 248° (Humpback Whales)
09:10 S31° 59' 59", E115° 18' 58", 130m, 47.0km, 248° (Humpback Whales)
09:45 S32° 00' 24", E115° 11' 30", 305m, 55.3km, 249° (stopped until 10:35)
11:00 S32° 00' 42", E115° 11' 35", 290m, 55.4km, 248° (stopped until 12:30)
13:50 S31° 54' 39", E115° 21' 24", 75m, 37.2km, 255° (Humpback Whales)

Bird List (Christidis & Boles order) Total Number (Maximum at Same Time) :

Soft-plumaged Petrel 1 (1) distant
Yellow-nosed Albatross (race bassi) 65 (35) few adults / mostly immatures
Sooty Shearwater 1 (1) good photographs
Wilson's Storm-Petrel 6 (1)
Australasian Gannet 30 (5) (2 immature)
Great Skua 7 (3)
Silver Gull 13 (13)
Crested Tern 21 (3)
Bridled Tern 1 (1) flew past - very unusual for June
Welcome Swallow 1 (1)

Mammal List :

Humpback Whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) 9 (4)

Other :

Loggerhead Turtle? 1 (1)

Next Trip :

The next trip from Hillarys will be on Sunday 13th August 2006 but this is
fully booked.  For details of future trips contact Frank O'Connor on 08
9386 5694 or email <>