birding-aus

Carnivorous Gang Gang's and sheep...

Subject: Carnivorous Gang Gang's and sheep...
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:29:33 +1000
Slightly off topic but interesting none the less.

I read an article in New Scientist a few years ago about how various animals
self-medicate. Dogs will often seek out helpful herbs in the garden, wild
animals are known to change their eating habits, such as eating mineral rich
rocks to get what they need.

One example in particular that stands out is from Scotland I think it was.
On the coast up there a bird nests annually, Puffins maybe, and locals kept
finding chicks with their heads missing, still in their hollow. Fearing
foxes or stoats they staked the nests out to find out what was going on.
Turns out that when the sheep were feeling low on nutrients they'd browse
the nests and bite the chicks heads off!
Based entirely on this then I declare that Gang-gangs must surely get the
taste for meat eventually. Could you imagine only eating seeds?

Evan

A reformed vegetarian