birding-aus

Carnivorous Gang Gang!

To: "Bob Dawson" <>, <>
Subject: Carnivorous Gang Gang!
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 14:50:00 +1000
Don't know about Gang Gangs but Rainbow Lorikeets certainly do eat meat!

An elderly lady - and an eccentric who wouldn't listen to cautions about over-feeding - puts out mince meat in a local park for the magpies (and of course helps the butcherbirds to thrive!). Some she places on the boughs of low trees and over the last two years I have seen up to 10 Rainbow Lorikeets feeding on the stuff.

I've also seen Rainbow Lorikeets digging into the soil - don't know why.

What does HANZAB say ?!

Michael Norris