birding-aus

Eagle poisoning

To: (Birding Aus)
Subject: Eagle poisoning
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:05:24 +1000

On Monday, June 19, 2006, at 01:51 PM, wrote:

following information which was provided by raptor researcher Dr David
Baker-Gabb recently.

< snip >

Wedge-tailed Eagles routinely eat carrion, and I am sure that in your
travels you would have seen a dead one or two on the side of the road that got clobbered by a car when feeding on a road-killed kangaroo or some such delicacy. Wedgies hold large territories (eg 5km between nests) and so any poisoning activity is likely to only kill at most one pair of adults and possibly a few roaming juveniles. Hence the impact on this species is likely to be
less than on Whistling and Black Kites.

I'm not so sure about this. I've seen quite a few wedgies circling about in the one area, and I'm sure I've seen a few gathered around a roadkill from time to time.

Regards, Laurie