birding-aus

Re: Toughest Gets

Subject: Re: Toughest Gets
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 21:51:46 +0800

My two toughest gets are for my WA list. More accurately they are "still to gets" ...

I have stood out in the heath listening for (Western) Ground Parrot on about 20 surveys. I have heard a few but yet to see one in WA. A Barn Owl almost landed on me one evening ...

I have probably had more than 10 chances to see Striated Grasswren in WA, but the best I have done is heard it at Newman in the Pilbara.

The toughest 'get' for me in WA might be the Franklin's Gull. I was always in the wrong place when they were found in WA. I would have tried for at least four, before I finally caught up with it at Carnarvon a couple of years ago.

Noisy Scrub-bird was probably one of my toughest to see the first time. About 16 hours in the field over about 6 attempts. But now that I know more about it, it is not a hard bird to get at least a glimpse of now. I have seen at least 8 different birds now over more than 30 occasions.

Now for Carpentarian Grasswren at Mt Isa in July. I have probably had 10 to 15 hours in the field for this bird over 5 attempts. But these attempts were all in the NT, and so hopefully we will find it at Mt Isa.